The idea behind steam cleaners is to make short work of cleaning floors and surfaces. It does this by heating up water to produce steam at high pressure, which in turn gets rid of germs, dirt and grease in record time. But in reality, many steam cleaners fail to deliver what they promise, meaning that you really need to do your homework before buying one.
What Can You Steam Clean?
Most household surfaces can benefit from steam cleaning, but you should always pay attention to the material you’re cleaning and think about how it will react to direct water and heat. Always remember to test a small area of the surface first to see how it will react to the process.
Upholstery, Mattresses, Curtains and Carpets
- Steam kills dust mites and removes stains from these surfaces
- Use a dry steam cleaning machine and an upholstery attachment for these surfaces
- For carpets, you should use a steam cleaner only for spot cleaning – use a carpet cleaning machine for large surfaces
- Test an inconspicuous area first to make sure the material you are cleaning is colour-fast
- Keep the machine moving so you don’t soak the fabric.
Floors, Tiles, and Ceramic and Metal Fixtures
- Steam kills germs, mould, and fungus
- Steam is good for cleaning grout (but not epoxy or caulking)
- Steam should not be used on porous floor surfaces such as concrete, paving stones, limestone, marble, or unsealed hardwood
- Use a dry steam cleaning machine and a floor attachment for these areas
- Keep the machine moving and avoid pressure in one area for too long.
Glass and Mirrors
- Using steam to clean glass and mirrors helps you avoid streaks
- Use a dry steam cleaning machine and a window attachment
- Lay a towel below the surface you’re cleaning to catch any drips
- Drag from the top to the bottom in stripes.
- Handheld dry steam cleaners can sanitise rubbish bins, cutting boards, and work surfaces
- You can also use a handheld dry steam cleaner to clean the fridge and defrost the freezer.
You can steam clean other items in your home, as well, including the following. Be sure to follow the directions on the steam cleaner for advice on how to clean these items.
- Filters and grills (air-conditioning, cooker hood, barbecue)
- Lawn mower
- Car interiors
- Golf clubs
- Pet beds, cages, and litter boxes
- Children’s toys and baby changing areas
Items to Avoid when Steam Cleaning
Some items should not be cleaned with steam, including the following:
- Paper and cardboard products
- Delicate fabrics like silk
- Walls and anything covered in water-based paint.
Reasons to Use Steam Cleaners
There are several reasons why steam cleaning might be good for you to use in your home:
- Steam cleaning is eco-friendly – no chemicals are involved
- Steam cleaning uses heat to disinfect or sanitise nearly all household surfaces
- Steam evaporates quickly, so surfaces dry faster than when cleaned with water
- Steam cleaning is excellent for those difficult-to-clean cracks and crevices
- Steam can dissolve hard-to-remove substances like ground-in wax, glue, and chewing gum
- There are two types of steam cleaner: cool or dry
- Steam cleaners are powerful cleaning tools that can eliminate dust mites, germs, mould, and fungus
- They can be used to clean a variety of surfaces and items, but be sure to check your machine’s guidelines before trying out on a new surface
Did you know that you can use steam cleaners to clean almost every surface in your house? In fact, there are lots of advantages to steam cleaning that might make you wonder why you haven’t included it in your house cleaning routine before.
Things to Keep in Mind When Steam Cleaning
Steam cleaning is not always a perfect solution to your cleaning needs. Here are some things you need to remember when steam cleaning:
- Steam cleaned surfaces will still need to be wiped with a cloth – the steam loosens the dirt, but doesn’t remove it
- Wear protective clothing and goggles when using a steam cleaner
- If steam comes in contact with skin, it can cause painful burns
- Some tasks may still be done quicker by hand – think before you use the steam cleaner
- Remember to follow the directions when using a steam cleaner.
Why Choose Car Member Steam Cleaner?
Safety is key when using a steam cleaner, which can reach high temperatures. To ensure you do not get burned or scalded, wear protective clothing, and if your vision becomes impaired by excess steam clouds pause your work until the cloud has evaporated. Steam cleaning machines can be a great way to keep many of the surfaces in your home spotless.
Car Member is the essence of superior design and intelligent engineering.
Every Car Member product is built and rigorously tested with a passion to realize the perfect steam cleaning machine.
With innovative ingenuity, creativity and undeniable skill, the first Car Member steam cleaner came into existence.
Car Member engineering is ever evolving, transforming the most powerful elements of nature, water and air, into the world‘s most advanced steam cleaning technology.
Each product offers a 100% natural, chemical-free cleaning that purifies your home and protects the health of your family. Built into the heart of the machine are specialized high performance components engineered to dramatically improve the quality and functionality of the Car Member line.